I recommend running weekly & monthly reviews. I also do a “mid-year” (July) & end-year (late December) review.
My weekly/monthly reviews is based on David Allen’s GTD system, with some modifications:
- Get all in-boxes to zero.
All emails & paper has to be processed, no excuses… use your lists.
- Review all calendars: last week & the coming week.
Be sure that you are in control.
- Review your Weekly MIT’s (Most Important Task)
Before moving on to the lists, remember to SIMPLIFY.
Remove everything but the essential projects & tasks.
Optional: Put them on your Someday/Maybe list.
- Review your action lists.
- Review your project lists.
- Review your Monthly MIT’s – Monthly Review
- Review your someday/maybe lists – Monthly Review
- Review your “Reflection document” – Monthly Review
- Review all calendears for upcoming month – Monthly Review
- Review “Horizon of Focus” (Level 2 & 3) mindmaps – Monthly Review
If you manage to create a habit of doing a weekly review… you will get a “control-boost”.. People feeling in control tend to more happy and content.
David Allen talks about the GTD Weekly Review: